Creating goals can be a great way to stay motivated and have a direction to work towards. It is important to be setting healthy goals though. These healthy goal setting tips will help you to understand some ways to set good realistic goals. It is probably safe to say that most people set a goal with the intention of actually achieving it right? Personally, when I set a goal I want to accomplish it. It can be great to dream big, but sometimes creating a plan of smaller goals that will help you achieve that big goal will be much more realistic and less overwhelming. These healthy goal setting tips will help you to start setting healthy goals and start achieving them in no time.
Tips for Setting Healthy Goals:
- Be Specific – When creating a goal be as specific as possible, so you know exactly what you are trying to achieve. This will also give you something to work towards. For example, you might think one of your goals is to “be healthier”, but what does that actually mean. Are you trying to eat more nutritious foods? Sleep more? Workout 5 days a week? Instead of making your goal to “be healthier” try making it something specific. You want to know exactly what you’re trying to accomplish.
- Make the Goal Measurable – Having the goal be measurable is always a great way to track progress. This can also help you determine whether or not the goal has been accomplished. What is being measured will be dependent on what the goal itself actually is. For example, if you goal is to lose weight break it down into how many lbs. you want to lose in x amount of time. If your goal involves training for a 10k you’re goal might be to run an 8 minute mile. You might also have a goal to start prioritizing sleep more, so making it measurable could involve setting a goal of getting 7-8 hours of sleep at least 5 nights a week. See how all of these goals can easily be assessed to determine if they were or were not accomplished.
- Accountability – Having a sense of accountability is a great way to stay on track to accomplishing your goals. Accountability could come in the form of a method of tracking your progress, a friend, a coach, or even a family member. Regardless of how you hold yourself accountable having a source of accountability is an excellent way to stay on track towards achieving those goals.
- Create a Timeline – It can be useful to create a timeline for achieving your goals. You also want to set a time limit on achieving your goal. It is important to make it a realistic time limit. It is not the best idea to have an infinite amount of time to achieve your goal, because that makes it a lot easier to put it off. Creating a time limit will help you stay accountable, focused, and on track to accomplishing that goal. It is also a great idea to create a timeline on how you will achieve you goal. Let’s say your goal is to lose 5 lbs. in a month. When setting your timeline you would break down your goal, so losing 5 lbs. in a month breaks down to 1 lb. a week. Now evaluate how you’re going to lose 1 lb. a week.
- Create a Plan – Setting a specific schedule of days you plan to work towards your goal is important. If you are trying to lose weight, for example, you might want to create a plan outlining when you will exercise or meal prep or go to the grocery store. Creating a plan is a great way to work towards your goals and set yourself up for success.